Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ork Killa Kans from AT-43 Kollossi

 

 

 


As a side project, I promised to help a friend convert some Killa Kans for his foot-slogging horde army. I needed a proof of concept, and so here he is!

I started with a AT-43 Red Blok Kollossus, the one with the twin flamethrowers. I hacked the tip off the flamethrower and replaced it with a suitable 40k bit. I added teeth and plates and other details about the model to give it an orky feel, and to match the rest of my Orks. The rivets are the most important step in orkifying any model!

For the melee arm, I detached the existing arm at the body. I hacked off the elbow joint, and built two new sections of arm out of hollow plastic tube and some small rod. I took the axe head from an Assault on Black Reach plastic Nob (I have too bloody many of those things). Pin, glue, add rivets.

For painting my new Killa Kan, I started with a good coat of Boltgun Metal and washed it with Devlan Mud. The red was based with Khador Red Base, and highlighted up with Khador Red Highlight mixed with Khador Red Base. A highlight of Chainmail on metals and corners gave the metal some depth and added some wear marks. I wasn't really happy with him, so I kept adding colors and lines and washes, and now he looks like he was dipped in an oil bath. It matches the other Killa Kans, so I don't mind.

Magnus
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

GLEN H said...

AS A KEEN ORK PLAYER/MECHANIAK I HAVE TO COMMEND YOU ON THIS CONVERZION. INSPIRED ME TO BUILD SOME MYSELF. FROM GLENN H.